Monday, January 26, 2009

Jan 23 - Vientiane appeared not to have to much to do so I didn't stay long. For some reason I didn't feel like touring the typical sights there. Took a taxi to the bus station and headed to Vang Vieng. It took 4 hours. The road was not bad but no foreigners wanted to chat. After arrival I headed into town to find a guesthouse. Which was easy since people seem to come and go from here often. All I've heard about Vang Vieng is tubing tubing tubing. All the traveler i talked to are right. Buckets of rice whiskey for a 1$, 20oz Beer Laos 1$, zip lines, slides and swings. How it works is you rent a tube and get a ride to the "start" of the river trip. Then you stop at all the bars along the way. 6 or 8 bars I think. I went to the ones with the best activity. I liked the swings. After you pass the bars that are all in the first 1km the river trip goes for another 2km down the river. I found it to be cold, slow and shallow. The first km was much better. Afterward I got dinner and watched friends episodes. Most restaurants in town have a TV show playing non stop all day. Later checked out the local scene at Smile Bar.

No comments: