Monday, January 26, 2009

Jan 20 - Took the early morning slow boat to Ranong with Jit and Rob. The island has spotty internet access and no ATM just a money exchange with hefty fees. I didn't bring enough dough so Rob loaned me a few baht. When we got to Ranong I found out my debit card no longer worked. So I exchanged some US dollars to pay rob back and get me on by a few days while I work this out. Before I left for South East Asia I warned USAA (my bank) that I would be in Thailand, Loas and Cambodia. Then before I left I called again just to make sure. Didn't work. The important part is decided to stay in Bangkok for the night to deal with the bank thing. Initally I was to catch the night train Loas direct from the airport.

Caught a plane to Bangkok and got a room near Th Khao San. Played some ping-pong and had a few drinks at Khao San the world famous backpacker hangout. When the 13 hour time difference from my bank enabled me to call I did so(9:30pm here). Which did not end up working for my debit card but I found out later that my credit card worked.

No comments: