Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Jan 31 - Back on the rocks! I've been wanting to climb again ever since I left Tan Sai. Vang Vieng is known for its lime stone walls that compare in difficulty and quality to Krabi. The main differences I found are the routes tended to be shorter. The rocks are sharper and less polished since less people climb there. And the views once you get up aren't of the ocean and beaches. During the day I made friends with Flow and a Swedish couple. To end the climb we went up a route that had just been made by one of the local guides. I was lucky enough to be the third person to climb it. It was cool to see how sharp the fresh rock can be. Also the weak rocks are still breaking off the wall so your hand or foot hold might just disappear.

Got dinner later by myself and was joined by some Welsh guys and a French girl. Turned out I had heard about them earlier on my trip from other travelers. Small world. Long story short, very entertaining dinner.

Purchased a ticket to Pakse for an afternoon departure.

Met up with my climbing buddy Flow for a drink. Went to Smile Bar and met Flows friend Melodie. Learned a bit about French culture over drinks.

No comments: