Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Feb 2 - Showed up in Pakse to late to watch the super bowl. Turns out no one had the game in Pakse anyways. Found a guesthouse and rented a motorbike. I wanted to take the bike up into the hills. Ended up seeing a few small waterfalls and some local swimming holes. People had mention finding neat villages in the hills but I didn't have any luck. Went to my first Laos 7-11. Turns out once you leave the tourist areas pricing is completely different for locals. The smallest bill I'd used was 1000. They lady behind the counter didn't know what to do so I just rounded up the bill. I think she said something about foreigner not being allowed to shop there.

Did some joy riding around the city before returning my bike. Took a few photos and was reminded of how much the tourists in Luang Prabang could get on my nerves. This was one of my reasons for heading south. It seemed to me that hordes of amateur photographers swarmed that city and got in the locals faces a bit much. Especially the Buddhist monks. Pakse was devoid of that kind of tourism.

No comments: