Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Feb 4 - Headed across the Mekong from Champasak today to an island called Don Deange. At first the people seemed nice and I got the usually hello from everyone. I rode the perimeter of the island which amounts to about 12 miles. During the ride my bike pedal fell off. Nothing a little sports tape couldn't fix. Then the begging kids started. First they would demand money then pens for school work. I don't mind donating pens to a school. I think it's a great idea. But don't give them to the kids! They get the idea that all foreigners own pen factory's and give out samples from bikes. On my trek in Luang Prabang Cathy and Scott brought books for the school. The guide said you always give a gift like that to the village leader. So follow that example and give your pens to the students teacher. After that experience a local guy started following me around asking for money because his rice crop is dry. I informed him that it is the dry season in South East Asia and all the crops that are not irrigated are dry. He stopped following me after that. By this point I was ready to leave when some kids road by on bikes. I decided to chase them down and started a race around the island with the kids how were just getting out of school. My bike pedal completely disintegrated so I had to head back to Champasak.

No comments: