Friday, May 22, 2009

May 14. Ubud -> Kuta. Uneventful ride it was not. Unlike usual we didn't lose our way. Strait through Denpensar onto Route 1. Not far out on 1 we got pulled over by the local law enforcement. My first thought was the Grateful Dead tune Shakedown Street. "Tell me this town ain't got no heart". Safe in the fact I was doing nothing wrong I stood calm. He demanded my papers. I handed the bikes registration/ownership and my passport. During my trip research I'd learned of a scam the cops use to make extra money. Demand an international licence that not one traveler carries. Sure enough that's what Officer Jerk Face wanted. "If I take you in its 500 Rupiah." "But I'll make you special price 200". Me, "What a nice guy special price". So I told him I only had a couple Dollars worth of Rupiah on me. Which I gave him. Then I started writing all his badge info in my notebook that I always carry. I figured if he gave me more trouble I'd have it. Just in case. Man! did he start getting scared. "Thank you, Thank you, friend, friend, thank you".
So now I can say I've bribed the police. Worth a couple bucks to me!

No comments: