Thursday, April 09, 2009

March 28 - April 6. Vipassana Meditation.

The typical day of Chanmyay meditation:
3:30am - wash up with mindfulness
4:00 - start with walking meditation then sitting and more walking
5:30 - Breakfast. Eat slowly with mindfulness. I eat alone and have more food then the local lay mediators.
6:30 - Clean room with mindfulness. I also room alone, locals stay 6 per place.
8:00 - Walking, sitting and standing meditations. Breathing (rising, falling).
9:30 - Interview with mentor monk. Talk about experience and improvements.
10:30 - Lunch/Dinner. Eat with mindfulness. Good food.
11:30 - Laying meditation. Sometimes I fell asleep but your not supposed to.
12:30 - Walking, sitting, walking, sitting, walking. Working on sitting for longer and longer time with better concentration.
6:00 - Lessons. Taped lectures from the 90's.
9:00 - Laying meditation or sleep.


Final impressions: I'd recommend to anyone interested in meditation to give it a try. Push your self. Patience, persistence and practice. I'd liken it to running long distance. In 10 days I got the idea but have the understanding that much more time is needed to reach deep concentration. When I do another retreat I'll be more mentally prepared.

No comments: