Monday, March 12, 2007

It’s about time! I apologize to anyone who has checked this blog since December. I owe you a few minutes of your life back.

Since the last post I've accepted a job with the Gila Hotshots. Gila is based 3 hours into the interior of Gila National Forest in southern New Mexico. I will be living in a bunkhouse in a small room with a roommate. The crew is made up of 20 people who are considered Type 1 firefighters (I was Type 2 last season). Being a "Hotshot" crew means that we are available nationally and travel to any of the 50 states and US protectorates. For traveling we have two 10-person trucks that look like a green SWAT team vehicle. I start working on April 16th and will end in mid-September.

In preparation for a summer of hard work I've been snow shoeing with weight too simulate a 45-pound IA pack. Going to the Silverthorne recreation center and snowboarding. Posted are some of my pictures from snow shoeing this winter.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Congrats about the job this year. Sounds amazing!